Monday, August 5, 2013

Style Cure 2013: Day 3 - Choose Your Room, Sit for 10 Minutes, & Take Before Photos

Today's homework was fun! I finally decided which room I was going to be focusing on this month and, though I really wanted it to be my living room/dining room, I decided on... drumroll please... the master bedroom. The living room/dining needs much more foundational work before I can start thinking about decorating. Even though I spend more time in the living room than I do in my bedroom, it's the latter that is way closer to receiving a shiny makeover. I'd like to optimize my chances of success here, and the likelihood of me trying to charge through completing my living room/dining room on my limited budget with my limited time this month is no bueno, so bedroom it is!

If all goes well I can always use the #stylecure program and address my living/dining room some time in the near future. Hopefully, that's exactly what'll happen. In the interim, my brain is all a'dither with bedroom-y possibilities now.

So, according to our homework page, this month I shall do the following in my bedroom:

  • paint or otherwise decorate the walls (one wall or more)
  • add (at least) one new decor "pairing" to go with the refreshed wall (DIY project or purchase, big or small)
  • deep clean the room
  • organize the room (*gasp* oh gawd, I just realized that includes my closet - meep)
  • evaluate the flow, lighting and accessories
Cool!

As part of the assignment, I sat in the room for about 10 minutes trying to envision it different ways - empty, rearranged, etc. I found this process super motivating. 

Finally, I took some before pictures from various angles. Wow, this room has so much potential now that I'm looking at it differently. Yay! I'm excited to get started. 

the south wall
this corner is definitely the hot zone of the room - this is where all my pillows, blankets and laundry collect - also, that wee table with a book on it is my meditation altar, which clearly needs a better home
more of the south wall and some of the west, also doors to the hall and bathroom
the east wall
ugh, those verticals are so ugly - I need a pretty window treatment
the west wall
I've always wanted a makeup vanity and I think this would be a great place for one
the corner next to my bed, here lies most of the decorative items I've collected for the room
I'd really like to do something funky and pretty with that little table
the door leading out to the hall
perhaps some possible storage space?
closet - right side
the clothes are so tightly packed, I have a difficult time getting them in and out of the closet
closet - left side ... don't judge me
shoes are just piled up in a heap on the floor and stacked on the top shelf
the ugly, built-in lighting fixture
I hate this light - I have several ideas on how to camouflage or otherwise change it without doing anything permanent

No comments:

Post a Comment