Friday, August 2, 2013

Style Cure 2013: Day 1 - The Style Interview

I'm still working on parts of this but I thought I'd just get it posted for now since it took me longer that I expected.
  1. List your favorites in each category:
    • Actor: Um... I don't really have a favorite actor but if you twisted my arm for an answer (ouch, quit it!) I suppose I'd have to say Johnny Depp. He takes all kinds of roles (think Edward Scissorhands to Gilbert Grape, Fear and Loathing to Ed Wood), he's not afraid to look ugly to portray a character or poke fun at himself in the process and he's a delicious looking man.
    • Actress: She's probably more of a style icon for me than a favorite actress, but I'm going to have to say Marlene Dietrich. She was a steely, sexy-as-hell seductress who often played with gender-bending. In Morocco, her first American film, she famously made her entrance dressed as a man, kissed a woman on the lips and then bestowed her costar, Gary Cooper, with a flower. And that was in 1930! She was simply bad ass.
    • Artist: I'm currently obsessed with John Baldessari. Here's a 6 minute film on him:  
    • Writer: This changes all the time, but right now it's Joe Hill
    • Music: My favorite band since I was a wee, angry teenager in combat boots and too much black eyeliner is and has always been Slayer. My musical tastes have evolved, of course, since high school but I think I'll forever hold a spot in my heart for Slayer. My more "grown-up" musical choices include Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, LP, and others but I still bop around to the likes of Bad Religion and Social Distortion, too. 
    • Restaurant: This is also always evolving but right now my favorite restaurant is Dau Fu in Normal Heights (San Diego) on Adams Avenue. It's a chinese and vietnamese fusion place with an extensive vegetarian menu and the food is always amazing. 
    • Automobile: I'm changing my answer! At first I couldn't think of a favorite automobile but then I remembered I have a big crush on the 1959 Cadillac Ambulance/Hearse. It had beautiful lines and having been a hearse, was a bit spooky, too. I do love a healthy sprinkling of spooky.
       
    • Movie or Television Show: Without a doubt, my favorite movie is True Romance. It's a film with a very strong stylistic point of view. I love the retro, trashy/chic, rock n' roll vibe and the ensemble cast is just ridiculously amazing. It was my first Tarantino flick and it's been my favorite movie since it was released in 1993. My favorite television show is Breaking Bad. It's the best show on TV. Hands down.    
    • Clothing (pieces, designers or stores): If I had a day-to-day uniform, it'd be jeans and a tank top. I'm also a bona fide shoe whore - the taller the heels, the better. 
    • Furniture (pieces, designers or stores): Again, I'm not into furniture enough to have a favorite designer or store. I like unique pieces and I enjoy shopping at antique or second-hand stores. Style-wise, if I picked a favorite piece of furniture it'd be my little dining table and chairs set.  
  1. above - sorry, I lost my formatting and I don't know how to fix this
  2. Choose three words to describe your personal style:  comfortable, bohemian rock n' roll, and quirky
  3. Think back over all the homes you've live in, both as a child and an adult. Which rooms would you choose as your favorites and how would you describe them?
    • Favorite room from a childhood home and a description: Definitely my high-school bedroom with walls covered in posters, notes, art from friends and other pieces of personal expression. A close second would be the living room in the home we had prior to that. It was a very large room with a slanted ceiling, hand-made wood paneling on one of the walls, a huge custom-made (by my dad) bookshelf on another wall, and a big window.
    • Favorite room from an adult home and description: I really haven't liked any of the rooms I've had as an adult (isn't that sad?) but the closest to a favorite I've probably come is a dining room in apartment I had 15(ish) years ago. It had one wall that was floor-to-ceiling mirrors and a cool chandelier. I remember really liking the look of it every time I walked through it. 
  4. Whom would you consider a role model? ??? What three adjectives describe the qualities that you admire in this person? ???
  5. Every home has areas that are "just right". Which three spots or things in your home to you feel are beautiful and feel proud of, right now, as is: Just so we're clear, I'm proud of these spots, but I'm not under the delusion that they're perfect. They all need work. Some more than others, but work nonetheless.
    1. My coffee cart corner - probably my favorite spot.
    2. My bed. It's unbelievably comfortable (thanks grandma!) and I adore my bedding - duvet cover and decorative pillows (thanks mom!). 
    3. My living room desk. It's pretty, functional, well-lit and comfortable. I don't mind spending extended amounts of time working there. And by working, I of course mean uploading digital photos and facebooking. Why, what did you think I meant?
  6. A month from now, at the end of the Style Cure, how would you like your friends to describe your home? Clean, funky, improving, rock n' roll, relaxed, cool, inviting, eclectic, colorful, bright, and fun all with a spiritual bent of possibly the Hindu flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment